1929 Durant 40
- Quiet bodies -- exclusive Durant construction.
- New advanced body lines.
- New brilliant colors.
- More roomy body interiors.
- Chromium plating on all fittings formerly nickel plated.
- The famous Million-Dollar four-cylinder Continental Red Seal Motor of special Durant design,
completely rubber mounted.
- Morse Silent Timing Chain
- Bendix quiet positive four-wheel brakes.
- Exceptional gear shifting and steering wheel.
- Perfect balance -- for unrivalled comfort and performance -- always identified with Durant products.
- Four-cylinder, L-head type, detachable head; Nelson Bohnalite pistons with invar steel struts;
3-3/8" bore by 4-1/4" stroke; piston displacement, 152 cubic inches; N.A.C.C. rating, 18.2;
brake horsepower 36 at 2,400 r.p.m. Engine mounted in rubber.
- Cast en-bloc with upper half of crankcase; detachable head.
- 1-1/2" diameter; 5/16" lift.
- CRANKSHAFT BEARINGS
- Front, 1-1/2" by 1-25/32"; center, 1-1/2" by 1-9/16"; rear, 1-1/2" by 2-3/4".
- CAMSHAFT BEARINGS
- Front, 1-3/4" by 1-3/8"; center, 1-5/8" by 1"; rear, 1-1/2" by 1-33/64".
- ENGINE LUBRICATION
- Force feed to silent timing chain and all main, connecting-rod and camshaft bearings.
- COOLING SYSTEM
- Cellular ribbon radiator; capacity, 8 quarts; 16" fan, 4 blades; pump.
- GASOLINE SUPPLY
- Capacity of tank, 11-1/2 gallons; placed at rear. Vacuum feed. Gasoline gauge on tank.
- One-inch, plain tube, air and fuel adjustment. Exhaust and intake manifold with hot spot, mounted on
left side of engine.
- Single-plate, dry-disc, enclosed in flywheel; seperately removable.
- Standard, selective sliding-gear type; three speeds forward and one reverse; seperately removable.
- FRONT AXLE
- Standard drop-forged "I" beam section with reverse Elliott type steering mechanism. Timken tapered
roller wheel bearings. Ball thrust bearings on knuckles.
- REAR AXLE
- Semi-floating, simple design, with spiral-bevel ring gear and pinion.
- STEERING GEAR
- Semi-irreversible, worm-and-gear type. Fore-and-aft steering. Ball thrust bearings. 17" wheel, flush type controls.
Horn button in center of wheel.
- Four-wheel Bendix mechanical, internal expanding, self-energizing, 3-shoe type; 11" brake drums.
- CHASSIS LUBRICATION
- Alemite pressure system.
- Semi-elliptic; front, 36" by 1-3/4"; rear, 54" by 1-3/4". Tryon adjustable shackles.
- Wood artillery on standard models; wire on De Luxe models.
- Balloon, 28 x 4.75.
- 107 inches.
- Gear shift and parking brake levers in center; accelerator pedal mounted on toe board. Spark and throttle levers in
center of steering wheel. Semi-automatic spark control. Speedometer, ammeter and oil gauge clustered
in indirectly lighted instrument panel. Ignition and lighting switch and choke mounted on instrument board.
- STARTING, LIGHTING, IGNITION
- Generator; starting motor; igniter and coil. Combination stop and tail lamp;
resistance dimmer on head lamps; large cowl lamps for parking.
- STANDARD EQUIPMENT
- Rear-vision mirror, automatic windshield wiper; electric motor-driven horn;
combination stop and tail light; chromium-plated radiator, lamps and other fittings; tool kit. Tire carrier and extra rim.
- DE LUXE EQUIPMENT
- Six wire wheels with two spares mounted in fender wells, bumpers, front and rear, trunk rack and
chromium-plated cowl band.